Thursday, March 01, 2007

Mommy Questions

Okay, here's the deal. We are going to start switching Cassidee over to regular milk next week--11 1/2 months old--close enough to a year, I hope!?
Anyway, she's slowly taking fewer and fewer bottles these days. Basically one in the morning, one at night before bed. I'd rather not give her the milk in a bottle. I'd love to have her off bottles by a year or soon after. My thinking is that I'll just give her an ounce or two of regular milk in her sippy and see what happens. She does great with her sippy cup and prefers it filled with water over a bottle sometimes! I keep hearing everyone say that you need to mix the milk and formula half and half or so until she gets used to it. What did you do? How did you get on the regular milk and off the bottle? I know for some that is two separate issues. Cassidee does great with cheese, yogurt, ice cream (yes, bad mom of me to have given her ice cream already). Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks in advance!!!

4 comments:

Mary said...

I started Dane on regular milk at about 11 1/2 months, too. I started out in his bottle with just the milk, and luckily, he really likes milk. They say it tastes sweet to them compared to the formula. Anyway, then at around his birthday, I started putting it in his cups, and he never acted like he missed his bottle at all. Now, the pacifier, that's a whole different issue. We've postponed tackling that one until at least 18 months.

jennifer said...

First of all, you are not a bad mom for giving ice cream already!! That's good stuff!! If she likes sippy cups then give the milk a try in it! If she doesn't like the milk then you could try adding a little formula to it to make the transition (that's what we did with Kennan). You might just have to try it a few different ways, but don't get frustrated. It's like giving a new food...sometimes it takes a few tries for them to realize they like it! Good luck!

Ashley said...

Carley did great with regular milk. She just thought it was too cold so I let it set out for about 10-15 minutes first and cut the chill. I did the Nuby sippy cups. Their spout is made of the same material as a bottle so Carley could transition better.

Be ware though, diapers change some with milk. A little nasty....

The Timberframer's Wife said...

Hey, it sounds like you've got a good plan. I don't think there's one right way. Just keep your goal in sight and pay attention to how she seems to be doing. Pretty much what we did was I started at about nine or ten months giving them increasing amounts of regular milk, adjusting it according to how they handled it. Constipation was a sign to me that I needed to slow it down a little and let them adjust. By a year, two of the three were on straight cow's milk. I didn't stress about the bottle or paci. Only Mary Nan took a paci, and since we had Laura so quickly after her, I didn't think it was fair to take those things from her when she would be seeing them with her sister and adjusting to that huge change in her life, and then I felt the same way when J.J. was born for Laura, so I guess the girls were both off the bottle during the day by the time they were two (They were really doing mainly cups by then, bottles were just a sometimes thing, if I am remembering right.) and off it at night by some time around three for Mary Nan and two for Laura. The paci was gone around two. I didn't feel too worried about it since Hannah didn't wean Samuel till he was around four, I think I remember learning. Mary Nan still gets a real wistful look in her eye when you mention a paci and she will talk about hers (so many of them). J.J. loves his bottle but can handle a cup, too. I am about to more aggressively reduce bottle time. I always remember this--you never see a 30 year old drinking from a bottle, using a paci, or wearing a diaper. There are definitely things you'll get stressed about, but in the grand scheme of things, this isn't one of them, and it's just fine if she's the only one her age at church with a paci or bottle (within reason).